From NKM WIKIDOC
An unstructured approach towards generating ideas about creative solution of a problem which involves multiple experts in a session
- It is an unstructured approach towards generating ideas about creative solution of a problem which involves multiple experts in a session;
- Questions can be raised for clarification, but no evaluations are done at the spot;
- Similarities (that emerge through opinions) are usually grouped together logically and evaluated by asking some questions like:
- What benefits are to be gained if a particular idea is followed?
- What specific problems that idea can possibly solve?
- What new problems can arise through this?
- The general procedure for conducting a brainstorming session:
- Introducing the session;
- Presenting the problem to the experts;
- Prompting the experts to generate ideas;
- Looking for signs of possible convergence.
- If the experts are unable to agree on a specific solution, the knowledge developer may call for a vote/consensus.
- It is a computer-aided approach for dealing with multiple experts;
- It usually begins with a pre-session plan which identifies objectives and structures the agenda, which is then presented to the experts for approval;
- During the session, each expert sits on a PC and gets themselves engaged in a predefined approach towards resolving an issue, and then generates ideas;
- This allows experts to present their opinions through their PCs without having to wait for their turn;
- Usually the comments/suggestions are displayed electronically on a large screen without identifying the source;
- This approach protects the introvert experts and prevents tagging comments to individuals;
- The benefit includes improved communication, effective discussion regarding sensitive issues, and closes the meeting with concise recommendations for necessary action (refer to Fig. 5.1 for the sequence of steps);
- This eventually leads to convergence of ideas and helps to set final specifications;
- The result is usually the joint ownership of the solution.